Mar 13, 2018
Making the best of your Carpet
One of most complained about things while showing homes these days is carpet. Maintaining your carpet will help buyers feel more comfortable with the idea of carpet even if it is not what they were looking for. You do not want to deter buyers or guest because of your dingy carpets. The smell and look of your carpet makes a big impression on strangers in your home.
Quick fixes for new-looking carpets
First, to really get it clean, sweep the carpet with a broom, which will make the nap stand up and loosen embedded dirt. Next, vacuum the carpet. Your carpet should show a noticeable improvement just from taking these two steps.
If you have pets and need help neutralize strong odors, mix one cup Borax with two cups cornmeal. Sprinkle the carpet with this mixture. Let stand one hour, then vacuum. To freshen the carpet, combine three-quarters of a cup baking soda, two tablespoons cornstarch, and one-quarter cup perfumed talcum powder. Sprinkle on dry carpet, let stand five to 15 minutes, then vacuum. You can also purchase fresheners if you do not want to mix your own.
Before freshen your carpet remove those stains. Here are some tips to
- Use a clean white, absorbent terry towel
- Blot or tamp the spot
- Pretest the carpet in an inconspicuous area
- Clean the stain from the edge to the center
- Apply cleaner to the towel
- Clean with modest amounts of cleaning solution
- Adhere to product safety guidelines and general instructions
- Remove the stain as soon as it is noticed
- Remove the dirty excess before cleaning
- Use cleaning compounds at lukewarm temperature
- Saturate the carpet with cleaning compounds
- Apply heat or vigorously scrub the stain
- Leave the stain until later
- Fail to remove dried excess stain prior to cleaning
- Forget to pre-test the carpet or stain
Follow these tips, and your carpet will look good as new again in no time.